This post is a reflection of my experiences of the first week while working as an intern at the University of Central Florida’s Library of Special Collections and University Archives (SCUA) under the supervision of Mary Rubin, the Senior Archivist. The post will not be as in depth as my daily posts are, so if the need for in-depth content on my activities is what is sought, it is encouraged that those daily posts be read. Consider this a summary of my activities throughout the week and that gives a glimpse of at an intern in my position does and will be in chronological order to avoid confusion. With the descriptions and disclaimers presented, this post can actually start.
On Monday, I began working on the Michael O’Shaughnessy Collection after being given a tour of the facilities. Michael O’Shaughnessy was a defensive lineman on the UCF Knights football team from 1979 through 1980. He later was inducted in the UCF Hall of Fame in 2010. He had donated collections from 2006 and 2013, some of which had already been processed before I started, but much work still needed to be done. It had been decided I would work on it during my interview the previous week.
Ms. Rubin helped me collect boxes from the archives that I would be working on from the time being. After donning the appropriate glove wear, I sifted through the folders and handling documents by check if they were stapled (none were), clipping them together with plastic clips if necessary, and removing folders no longer needed. Most of my time was sorting through ephermera like ticket stubs, which was decided that eventually it was best to sort them by year eventually. Time flew by and soon my first day ended.
On Tuesday, I learned how to process photographs on which appropriates sleeves to place them in. Paper copies do not get sleeved and if there are more than one same size photographs then they shared a sleeve. I made sure duplicates shared a sleeve before attaching unrelated photographs together. It reminded me of collecting trading cards and storing them in pocket sleeves. I also learned how to process photographic film. They do not share sleeves and the glossy side of the film stays face-up in the sleeve. Unfortunately, there was a lack of four inch by six inch sleeves, so I could not process them. They will have to be processed at a future date.
On Wednesday, Ms. Rubin had a public outreach program to attend to, so I only spoke with her briefly regarding a abrupt change in schedule. After that was settled, I continued processing photographs. There were no films to process and no photographs needing four inch by six inch sleeves, though. But, I may have depleted a lot of the eight and a quarter inch by 10 and five-sixteenth inch sleeves in the course of that day. Mr. O’Shaughnessy collected a large amount of photographs that size, for sure. That took most of my time that day.
On Thursday, I completed processing the photographs that I could, though I had to cannibalize sleeves for posters for two larger than average photographs (with Ms. Rubin’s consent, of course). I also took the Library of Congress Classification Test, but I did not receive the results until the next day. While I was working, a class visit was impromptu scheduled for that day, so I did my part to direct the students where they needed to be. I was later thanked for this by the staff. After my normally scheduled time, I stayed longer for a belated belated birthday party. Only a fool turns down free food.
Today, Friday, I read two articles regarding the importance of physical archives before I began my work. I learned I did very well on my Library of Congress Classification Test and that was nice to hear. I mostly worked on a new box that had newspapers, some already processed photographs, and newspaper clippings. The newspaper clipping were the task at hand and I learned that for clippings, it was best to scan and copy them then place the copy in the collection instead. After this explanation, I was taught how to use the printer. I did my best to make sure clippings of the same article were on the same page, but sometimes the articles were too big and I had to use a plastic clip for multiple pages. I made sure that the clippings in worse condition were given first priority and were copied. I did not finish, so I will do my best to do so next week.
Before the end of the day, I was given a schedule change for next week. I will be working for five hours on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Fridays for the foreseeable future. If any major schedule changes occur, I will post it on the daily post when it happens as well as the weekly post.
That was the review of week one of my fall internship experience and there will be more to follow in the future. I will be sure to post any updates that come along, but this is it for now. Monday will be the next daily post and I will post that as soon as I can. Until next week, stay safe and have a wonderful weekend!