One of the lessons I learned in life deals with not relying on man-made materials to solve all of life’s problems. Case in point, the very tool I use to write documents and watch the video files of the Home Movie Collection. Today, unexplained circumstances tested my reliance on the computer to accomplish my goals. The whole escapade served as an ode to Kevin MacLeod’s “Glee Club Polka” (a license-free song used by certain companies as an accompanying jingle for “Technical Difficulties”).
The day started like any other from the last couple of months: I arrived in the office, picked up the Home Movie Collection materials, logged in, plugged in the hard drive, and waited for the Y Drive to connect with the network in order to access my files. Sometimes, this part takes a moment for the connection to stabilize. In the meantime, I picked up the next physical file to review the notes and I discovered the documents riddled with staples and paper clips.
While I waited, I used a utensil to remove staples and replace them with Plastiklips (prevents rust stains). When I finished, I tried accessing my files and the connection did not work! I contacted Mr. Ogreten about it and he took a look at it after a failed reset. This left me no choice but to relocate to another computer.
While I continued on with my work, Mr. Ogreten managed to fix the situation. Rather than move back, I decided to stay at the computer I relocated to. Nonetheless, I began watching a compiled video file and I discovered a dichotomy in labeling by donors.
The notes of the first file did list years and locations. Those indicators helped somewhat. The descriptions left in the guide only scratched the surface of the content in the films. For example, a description in the guide from read “toddler walking around in park, airplanes flying over field.” That description did not reveal anything about the footage that that occurred after the described footage.
Even worse, the notes for second set of films I worked on barely described anything, only a date for one label. This meant paying more attention to the footage shown to understand the theme of what the filmographer wanted to preserve. A rather tedious process, indeed.
Eventually, my shift came to a close. I left off at the mid point of the set as I saved my work, packed the hard drive, and returned all materials related to the stacks. Afterward, I bid farewell to the staff and left for the day.
In review, I experienced some “Technical Difficulties” with a computer (possibly user error induced difficulties) and gave a more detailed descriptions of the footage I viewed from the Home Movie Collection. Tomorrow, I continue the latter to the best of my ability. Until then, enjoy the rest of the evening and stay safe! Bye!