With the start of the new year, students have slowly returned (or just arrived, in the case for freshmen) to campus. Despite this, the campus of the University of Central Florida remains barren of bustling activity. Also, the remains of Colbourn Hall have been reduced to rubble that is currently being moved out by the demolition crew. In the wake of these observations, some of the staff have also returned to resume their duties. Among them is David Benjamin, head of the department, and for whom I had assignment to complete.
As stated in previous posts, Mr. Benjamin assigned me a task of making list of the publications within the Fred Rogers and Dr. Francis Martin, Jr. (got his first name, finally) Collection. Yesterday, I finished with the magazines and books which left the artwork attached to the collection. After getting clarifications regarding my instructions for the artwork, I began describing the illustrations and any inscriptions on the art. Surprisingly, Mr. Benjamin reassigned the task to one of my colleagues after I had completed three illustrations.
Despite the sudden change of course, the act did not offend me at all. Instead, I returned to the task Mr. Ogreten assigned to me before the break: the new additions to the Democratic Women’s Club of Florida Collection. As a reminder, I had been dismantling a scrapbook before Mr. Benjamin reassigned me. With the momentary distraction settled, I gathered the parts I had left and resumed removing photographs, labels, flyers, etc. from the adhesive sleeves.
A few mishaps occurred as I used a scalpel to remove the materials. Sometimes the scalpel would get underneath the image and in between it and the back of the photograph. Whenever this occurred, I quickly stopped before I did more damage and made a note for Chris Saclolo to hopefully repair. Chris’ job as a book conservator warrants the kind of careful treatment needed to preserve damaged or fragile documents. Another issue included running out of paper used to separate materials that once belonged on different pages in the scarpbook.
Through my scrapbook dismantling, I used all of the Neenah-brand cardstock paper. I asked Ms. Rubin if there were anymore and she told me I could use a much lighter paper for the scrapbooks. Apparently, cardstock paper causes additional weight in folders and, as a result, heavier boxes. Luckily, I switched at the mid-point of the scrapbook. Though I endured such challenges, my perseverance rewarded me as I completed before the end of the day!
Alas, I finished with less than able time to begin the second scrapbook. I placed the cart in the stacks and managed to get a whiff from the stench of tobacco from the Rogers and Martin Collection. Not sure if that smell will ever dissipate. The intercom reminded us that the library would be closing at 5:00 PM and we made sure to secure everything before then. Afterwards, we said farewell to each other and closed for the day.
In review, I finished the first scrapbook from the Democratic Women’s Club of Florida. Tomorrow, the second scrapbook has top priority and the finding aid needs to be updated accordingly if there is time. Until then, enjoy the evening and stay safe! Bye!