December 5, 2018 – “Revising and Untangling”

Hello, everyone!

Today, I continued revising the George L. Stuart, Jr. Collection finding aid. I discovered that I overlooked certain mistakes that created a bigger mess than anticipated. Aside from creating unnecessary commas,  I did not pay attention to the folder numbers of some of the listed files. As a result, some of these folders merged together in an unsightly mess. Obviously, part the responsibilities of the day’s work was to untangle this tapestry of woe.

Upon entering the office this morning, my mind was clear of the tasks that needed to be done. As previously posted, one of these tasks was to remove the excess commas from each folder and item listed in the George L. Stuart, Jr. Collection. Unbeknownst to me, there was another nasty surprise waiting for me.

As I continued surveying the finding aid, I encountered duplicates that needed removal and the folders readjusted to compensate for this change. As bad as this was, I did not expect to find the horrors that caused a little bit of despair. Some of the files merged accidentally due to the blunder I made of not changing their folder numbers. The headache of creating entries to split the files, readjusting all of the file numbers in the box, and removing excess commas annoyed me.

Fortunately, good progress was made as I cleared the Campaign Files, City Commissioner Files, Correspondence, and Multimedia Files series in the collection. As I worked through these series, Mr. Ogreten gave me another assignment. After I finish with the finding aid, I am to sort through a collection of slides and sift out slides pertaining to UCF or UCF’s Performing Arts Department. On the surface, the task seemed simple enough. Based on past experience, I need to be careful and not rush through in order to not repeat the same problems with the Stuart Collection.

As my shift ended, I noted that the Personal Files, Photographs, and Memorabilia series remained for the Stuart Collection. I figured that the collection would be finished tomorrow and I would move on to these slides Mr. Ogreten assigned to me. I logged of the computer I was using and bid farewell to the staff before leaving for the day.

In review, the majority of the George L. Stuart Collection finding aid’s folders have been corrected and a new projected was assigned to me. Tomorrow, the former is expected to be finished and I should begin the new assignment. Until then, enjoy the evening and stay safe! Bye!

Author: 57r3l574d

I am currently a Graduate Student at the University of Central Florida and simultaneously employed by the university library's Special Collections and University Archives as a Other Personnel Service (OPS) Student. Expected to graduate in 2019 with a History MA - Public History Track.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s