December 4, 2018 – “Revolving Doors”

Hello, everyone!

As the UCF students study for their final exams, my colleagues and I continue to work on our respective projects. I continued the task of researching and creating serial holding numbers for the Leftist periodicals previously mentioned. Due to the small number of them left from yesterday, Mr. Ogreten soon found other activities to occupy my time. To describe the constant shifting from one activity to another as a “revolving door” is rather apropos.

I began my shift by resuming my assignment from yesterday of researching and creating serial holding numbers for each periodical. Less than an hour later, the deed was done. Fortunately, Mr. Ogreten needed assistance and recruited me to help him.

The both of rode the elevator down to the first floor and Mr. Ogreten explained what we were going to be doing. Mr. Benjamin had recently acquired books from a donor’s private library. Unfortunately, the books reeked of tobacco and needed to be aired out to lessen the stench. I did not realize how potent the smell was until we were taking the books out the boxes they were in.

Courtney once told me of a collection that carried an aroma of Cuban cigars and she can now identify the smell in a setting with a fairly large group of people. While I am not sure what the donor of these books smoked, the stench was heavy and mixed with the smell of old books. The latter I am more familiar with as my grandparents had books with a similar smell on their shelves.

The old books were placed in a way to air out their pages on a bookshelf in the acquisition room and we returned to the fifth floor with the boxes they came in with. The next task Mr. Ogreten assigned was to correct inconsistencies in the George L. Stuart, Jr. Collection’s finding aid. I cannot seem to get away, can I? Much of it is my fault for letting such blunders to occur.

I managed to finish eradicating duplicates that Mr. Ogreten marked as well as sorting through tangled entries. The most common persistence, though, was the double commas. I did not realize at the time that the program automatically assigned commas in certain instances. Thus, I applied an unnecessary comma for each entry in the collection. Removing these commas is similar to removing staples: a lot of effort that could have been prevented.

I was one of the last members to leave the office. I finished correcting Box 41’s commas and saved my progress. After logging off, I said farewell to Mr. Benjamin before departing.

In review, I finished creating the serial holding numbers for the Leftist priodicals, helped Mr. Ogreten air out books filled with the aroma of tabacco, and started correcting the Stuart Collection’s finding aid on Archon. Tomorrow, I am sure that I am going to continue correcting the Collection. Until then, enjoy the afternoon and stay safe! Bye!

Author: 57r3l574d

I am currently a Graduate Student at the University of Central Florida and simultaneously employed by the university library's Special Collections and University Archives as a Other Personnel Service (OPS) Student. Expected to graduate in 2019 with a History MA - Public History Track.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s