November 19, 2018 – “Label Application”

Hello, everyone!

Due to Thanksgiving weekend, this week will be a short one. Nonetheless, there remain a few tasks left for the George L. Stuart Collection and one of them included applying new labels for the boxes and the trays in Box 86 (the Memorabilia Box). Initially, the sheer quantity of the boxes certainly gave a reason to reassess the situation and fretting over having enough labels for the boxes seemed validated as the day progressed. Thankfully, every box and tray was relabeled.

As always, Mondays meant the task of cleaning the fifth floor study hall was my responsibility. As I gathered my cleaning supplies, I shuddered at the though of what manner of state the desks were in after the weekend. My concerns were justified as some desks were marked in a disturbing fashion, though not grossly obscene. Fortunately, all the desks were cleaned after 40 minutes of scrubbing pencil and pen markings off of them.

After returning the cleaning supplies, my focus centered towards the last physical task involving the George L. Stuart, Jr Collection: applying new labels to the boxes. I prepared the label template, expecting a simple task. The only complication that threatened any progress made was if the blank label sheets ran out. I soon discovered that there were not enough blank labels for all of the boxes.

In light of this predicament, I opted to use the reserves as much as possible. Aside from having to constantly remember which slots were blank on the used, convoluted sheets, one mistake was made. I placed the label of Box 35 on Box 33. Rather than wasting ink and another precious blank label, I removed the contents of both boxes and swapped them. Unfortunately, the reserves ran out as I reached Box 50.

Mr. Ogreten was not in the office today, so I had to consult Ms. Rubin about supplies. Fortunately, my colleague, Joseph Kaminsky, possessed the remaining intact blank label sheets. After loading the printer with new sheets, I remembered the trays in Box 86 needed labels as well. So, I made the appropriate adjustments to the last sheet before I printed them out.

I felt a sense of relief as the last label was applied and I noted the time left in my shift. enough time was left to create the new timesheet for this pay period and make some adjustments to the finding aid (adding Boxes 80 and 81, for example). After that, I bid farewell to the staff and left for the day.

In review, all the boxes (and trays) in the George L. Stuart, Jr. Collection had new labels applied. Hopefully, Mr. Ogreten will be in the office tomorrow to help with the finding aid. Until then, enjoy the afternoon and stay safe! Bye!

 

Author: 57r3l574d

I am currently a Graduate Student at the University of Central Florida and simultaneously employed by the university library's Special Collections and University Archives as a Other Personnel Service (OPS) Student. Expected to graduate in 2019 with a History MA - Public History Track.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s