November 15, 2018 – “Once Lost, Now Found”

Hello, everyone!

As the end of the fall 2018 semester approaches, so does my work with the George L. Stuart, Jr. Collection. The goal for today was to finish enumerating the remaining folders in the collection and, by the end of the day, this goal was met (despite some difficulties in locating a certain portion of the collection)! Of course, stating this accomplishment does not justify the experience unless elaborated upon.

As I entered the office, my goal was fixed on finishing the laborious process that consumed my time in the archives. I retrieved Box 72 of the George L. Stuart, Jr. Collection and resumed enumerating the Collection’s folders. Boxes 72 through 77 each contained approximately 19 to 30 folders, so working through them was not too time consuming. On the other hand, Box 78 proved to be a challenge as the box contained 54 folders due to the Photographs Series. Once Box 78 had its folders enumerated, the rest of the collection followed.

Box 79 was the last strictly folders box in the collection, only containing ten folders. Boxes 82, 83, 84, 87, 88, 89, and 90 either had one or three folders (Box 87 being the exception of containing six folders) and enumerating them required little effort. Box 91 puzzled me and I asked Mr. Benjamin (the only higher staff member present at the moment) how should proceed with the type of folders used in the collection. I heeded his advice to treat it as I would another folder and enumerate it as such. Once Box 91 was finished, the only remaining container with folders was the flat file.

Unfortunately, I had forgotten which drawer contained the flat file and I opened each drawer to no avail. It seemed as though the flat file was missing or was placed in another drawer. To compound my problems, all the staff were on their launch breaks. To avoid a complete panic-induced meltdown, I carefully inspected each drawer until I reached Drawer 17. As soon as the flap used flatten files was removed, I was relieved to discover the flat file was the top file in the drawer.

I carefully removed the file’s contents in order to sort them in the correct order. I improvised by using nearby carts to sort the folders due to the limited room in the collection shelves. Once the folders were enumerated and returned to the flat file, the overall deed was finally completed and I reported my progress to Mr. Ogreten. He noted that the remaining physical edit to the collection was creating and placing the labels on each box. I kept Mr. Ogreten’s words in mind for next week’s tasks as I bid farewell to my supervisors and colleagues.

In review, all of the folders in the George L. Stuart, Jr. Collection have been properly enumerated. Next week, the new labels will be applied and final edits to the finding aid will be made. Also, the week will be shorter due to the Thanksgiving weekend. Until then, enjoy the weekend and stay safe! Bye!

Author: 57r3l574d

I am currently a Graduate Student at the University of Central Florida and simultaneously employed by the university library's Special Collections and University Archives as a Other Personnel Service (OPS) Student. Expected to graduate in 2019 with a History MA - Public History Track.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s