There is some exciting developments to announce regarding the George L. Stuart, Jr. Collection: the finding aid has been completed! Within the four hour timespan of my shift today, the Personal Files Series, the Photographs Series, and the Multimedia Series were all encoded and the final draft was sent to Mr. Ogreten for review. At this point, I would be considered finished with a collection. However, there is some lose ends that need to be addressed with the collection.
As I entered the office, my mind was centered on finishing the encoding of the remaining series of the George L. Stuart, Jr. Collection into the finding aid. Box 76 of the Personal Files Series was where I resumed from yesterday’s progress. For the most part, the encoding of the Personal Files Series and the Photographs Series was not difficult. The only notable feature was Box 78 contained almost the entire Photograph Series: approximately fifty-five folders placed in one box! Despite the contents of Box 78, there were not any nuances to be dealt with.
The Memorabilia Series, on the other hand, did have some nuances. Unlike past collections, the Memorabilia Series was mostly contained in Box 86 and was divided by trays layered on top of each other. There is no template for these trays in Note Tab Pro, so I consulted Mr. Ogreten on how to proceed encoding the items. I tried to follow close to his instructions to the best of my ability (indicated the box location and tray location of each item, etc.). I also added Kae’s detailed descriptions of each item into the finding aid and gave them better headings as well.
When I was finished, the final closing tags were added and I notified Mr. Ogreten. He was quite pleased with the news and prepared the page to be viewed online. Unfortunately, the code was broken in a few places and I went through the document to correct these mistakes. Mr. Ogreten told me that he would take over if there was any mistakes that I could not correct. Eventually, I did find one tag at the very end that I could not figure out how to solve and I handed he responsibility over to Mr. Ogreten.
Normally, my involvement with a collection would be completed at this point. However, the George L. Stuart, Jr. Collection seems to be the gift that keeps on giving. I have noted in past blog posts that the VHS tapes needed to be put into cases and labeled. Additionally, Mr. Ogreten and Mr. Benjamin want a special label applied to every folder in the collection, the contents in temporary Boxes 80 and 81 need to be rehoused (and later added to the finding aid), a timeline of Senator Stuart’s political career be created, and all the boxes have to be relabeled.
Before my shift ended, I began placing VHS tapes into newly bought cases and creating labels for them. Since there is not a standard label for the covers, all of them have to be created and printed. Of course, trimming the paper to fit inside the cover is also part of the process. At the time, I did not think to create a template with the exact dimensions to fit inside a case to use for trimming the remaining labels. I left the office that day with thoughts of rectifying this oversight tomorrow.
In review, the finding aid was finally completed and work began on the remaining tasks of the collection. Tomorrow, I will continue labeling the VHS covers and perhaps begin applying the special labels to all the folders in the collection. Until then, enjoy the rest of the evening and stay safe! Bye!