As mentioned in the previous entry, this entry will allow the blog to be updated to the present. In terms of the occurrences at the Special Collections and University Archives, the proceedings remained more of the same as the previous days’ with the only discrepancy being the box numbers encoded into the finding aid of the George L. Stuart, Jr. Collection. Since Thursdays are my shortest shift, I thought I would not be able to get much accomplished. Imagine how surprised I was at the number of boxes I was able to code: I managed to get to Box 26, well over half of the Senate Files Series! Of course, there was more details involved in that journey and the rest of the post will recount them.
Much like yesterday, I placed my backback into my footlocker and logged onto a computer to begin coding. Continuing the pace established throughout the week, folder after folder was entered into the finding aid with hopes of perhaps surpassing the quarter milestone of twenty-three boxes. To my surprise, I managed to accomplish that personal goal within the three hour period of my shift and continue further.
There were a few instances where I had to pause and consult the physical collection because of questionable labeling. If there were any discrepancies, they were immediately fixed upon discovery. There was the rare instance were both the spreadsheet and the physical folder were given better labels.
While I was busy coding the finding aid, Mr. Ogreten came to check on my progress. He reminded me to reset the folder with each new box entered (which had been faithfully adhered when he originally instructed me to do so). Apparently, I overlooked a minor detail in his instructions: the folder numbers had to be physically added as well! Before panic ensued, he told me not worry and this task can be accomplished after the finding aid was completed.
There are several concerns that remain with me as each folder is encoded. Though I do not know the shipping progress, I keep hoping to be informed of the delivery of the new archival supplies necessary for the collection. Maybe they will arrive before I am done with Senate Files Series? On a related note, I need to address to Mr. Ogreten about the latter boxes of the collection and whether they should be numbered as well.
Under these pretenses, I thought immediately of the Multimedia Files Series and the boxes created to house certain portions of the series. Again, this concern is not immediate until the rest of the Senate File Series is coded into the finding aid. As my shift came to a close, I saved my work and made sure my timesheet was updated for next week. Once I logged off the computer, I said farewell to the staff and departed for the day.
In review, the folders from Boxes 18-26 were coded into the finding aid and additional instructions were given regarding to adding folder numbers to the collection. Next week, expect more coding of the finding aid. Hopefully, the archival supplies will arrive and give a brief reprieve from coding. Until then, enjoy the weekend and stay safe! Bye!