October 9, 2018 – “Box-keeping?”

Hello, everyone!

While work continued in regards to the George L. Stuart, Jr. Collection’s finding aid, there are no further announcements to make. For the next couple of days, my shift will primarily consist of inputting every folder into the appropriate series featured on the finding aid. Nevertheless, the progress made in that endeavor will be noted.

After greeting everyone in the office, my immediate action was to commandeer a computer and resume coding the finding aid. Yesterday, I had presumed I had reached the point where the folders needed to be entered. These presumptions were not accurate in the end and I had to use the Library of Congress’ authorities to find relevant research terms for the collection (two of which were on the previous edition of the finding aid, so they were easily added). Once these terms were added, the next step was to begin adding each series to the finding aid.

As the collection is currently organized, the first series is the Senate Files and contains the most boxes (approximately forty-eight) than the rest of the collection combined. As such, coding each folder from the series will be time consuming. Thankfully, the Excel spreadsheet ensures the need to retrieve the physical boxes is reduced to a minimum. Or so I thought.

The first files from Box 1 was not even coded yet when I noticed some organization curiosities. Like opening a time capsule, the way how some of the folders were labelled certainly attested to the unfamiliarity of how the folders were to be organized when Kae and I began sorting the collection. Before becoming enthralled further in the coding process, I corrected some of these oddities that seemed to appear periodically in these early boxes.

Aside from the minor distractions of house-keeping, or rather “box-keeping,” the collection, the majority of the shift was entering folders into the finding aid. There was some instructions from Mr. Ogreten which provided ever-present guidance: when starting a new box in the finding aid, be sure to reset the folder number back to one. With such a massive collection, I understood the reasoning behind Mr. Ogreten’s instructions as a means of finding folders more easily for researchers.

The coding continued until Box 7 and my shift was over. After saying farewell to the staff that was present, I signed off of the computer (after saving my work, of course) and left for the day. Resuming from where I stopped is a certainty for tomorrow’s shift.

In review, some folders were relabeled and Boxes 1-7 had their contents coded on to the finding aid. While the exact number of boxes that will be encoded into the finding aid tomorrow is unknown in the present, the most certain fact is that the boxes will be from the Senate Files. Until then, enjoy the evening and stay safe! Bye!

Author: 57r3l574d

I am currently a Graduate Student at the University of Central Florida and simultaneously employed by the university library's Special Collections and University Archives as a Other Personnel Service (OPS) Student. Expected to graduate in 2019 with a History MA - Public History Track.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s