October 3, 2018 – “Processing Complete (Sort Of)”

Hello, everyone!

The day has finally arrived! The main processing for the George L. Stuart, Jr. Collection is completed! Or rather, mostly completed. All of the leftover folders have been reintegrated into the collection and the Box 12b contents (business cards and “George Stuart For Governor” mail order registration forms) were processed before being placed in their appropriate new boxes. However, the VHS tapes still need covers (and labels) and two boxes of index cards need more archival appropriate housing for a fully complete processing. Of course this simplified explanation does not justify the details of today’s events, so a more elaborate report is needed.

As I walked through the doors of the office to start my shift, the first task was to correct a labeling mistake I had made yesterday. I knew which folder it was and I used the Excel spreadsheet to verify the folder’s location before retrieving it. With an eraser block in hand, my mistakes disappeared and was corrected. As I returned the folder to its rightful place, my attention focused on the leftover folders.

While finding which series the leftover folders belonged to was not difficult, my concern was if there was enough space to accommodate them. Indeed, some of the folders’ contents were at maximum capacity and the thought of shifting multiple folders into succeeding boxes was not appealing. To my surprise, most of the remaining folders were able to fit inside their new housing. Only one folder had to be moved into the succeeding box and there was space to hold it.

Some of the folders had to have an entry made in the spreadsheet, others had their contents gutted and integrated into a folder that centered on the same topic, and others just needed to be added into the collection. Relatively speaking, the whole process did not take long to complete and I had already set aside what the next task would be. Since the necessary supplies had arrived, I was finally prepared to organize Box 12b’s contents.

Previously, Box 12b housed a horrific mess of index cards, business cards, and “George Stuart For Governor” mail order registration forms. I had divided the contents separately into temporary housing until the necessary supplies were ordered and delivered. With plastic sleeves that had the right dimensions now available, I began sorting the business cards and placing them into the sleeves like they were trading cards.

As I was putting the cards into the sleeves,¬† the familiarity of the situation with something recreational that I do put me in a relaxed state of mind. While nonchalantly sleeving the cards, I stumbled upon a business card of a “David Benjamin.” I took a moment to show Mr. Ogreten and Ms. Rubin my discovery and they laughed. I will probably show it to Mr. Benjamin the next time I see him to see his reaction. Eventually, all the business cards were sleeved.

The “George Stuart For Governor” mail order registration forms was a new puzzle to solve. They were too large for the sleeves I had been using and I was concerned that the was not any sleeves of the right size to store them. My concerns were alleviated when I found sleeves that could house them. The only extraneous detail that had to be done before sleeving the forms was to remove some staples.

Mr. Ogreten had to consulted regarding a form that was held together by tape. The adhesive in the tape will eventually become brittle over time, so extra care is needed to remove it (usually a task by book conservators like Chris Saclolo). Mr. Ogreten decided to leave the form as it was for the time being, so the form was sleeved like the rest. When all the forms were sleeved, the final task was to add them to the collection.

The business cards were integrated into existing folders and the forms had to be added as a separate folder. While I was adding the business cards, I noticed a folder that had numerous loose cards. Now knowing that I had the supplies to appropriately house them, my objectives changed to better sleeve those cards as well. Unfortunately, there was ten minutes left in my shift and not enough time to complete such a task. After cleaning my work area, I said farewell to the staff for the day.

In review, all the leftover folders were integrated into the collection and most Box 12b’s contents were properly processed and added int the collection as well. Tomorrow, the loose cards I rediscovered will be properly housed and perhaps I will start editing the finding aid. Until then, enjoy the rest of the afternoon and stay safe! Bye!

 

Author: 57r3l574d

I am currently a Graduate Student at the University of Central Florida and simultaneously employed by the university library's Special Collections and University Archives as a Other Personnel Service (OPS) Student. Expected to graduate in 2019 with a History MA - Public History Track.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s