As this week comes to a close, the changes the archives experienced during the week seemed to have also been addressed in a short period of time than expected. Progress in processing the George L. Stuart, Jr. Collection returned to form as relabeling folders resumed at a normal pace. However, a new challenge has presented itself as revealed in the following details.
After beginning my shift, I noticed something peculiar about the state of the Special Collections as I retrieved Box 75 from the cart it was placed on. The tarps the workers had placed on the shelving yesterday was gone and there seemed to be no indication that suggested the workers would return. Hopefully, they had finished repairing and sealing the cracks in the ceiling to prevent any more leaks.
After settling in the reading room, I resumed relabeling folders in Box 72. The ordeal did not take as long as I expected and eventually all the folders were relabeled. After returning Box 72 to its shelf space, relabeling folders Box 73 became top priority. While relabeling the folders, Mr. Ogreten spoke to me about the upcoming program change from Archon to ArchiveSpace.
Mr. Ogreten said that the staff had met with the other parties involved and a thirty day notice was to be expected at some point in the near future. He wanted to know if the processing was far enough along to where the finding aid could be created. I mentioned that in addition to the folders that were currently being relabeled, an countenance of the materials in the oversized boxes, the VHS Tape Box, the U-Matic Tape Box need to be recorded and those items that require the creation of a flat file have to be stored appropriately. In addition, the Personal Files Series (should not be hard to process), Photographs Series (the last largest series), and Memorabilia Series (thanks to Kae, the only task for the series is to alphabetize the items listed) need to be processed. I suggested that perhaps Courtney can start the finding aid as the final stages of processing is conducted.
Mr. Ogreten asked about the chance of not being able to finish within the thirty day notice. I answered that even if any updates on the finding aid were frozen, then a separate document will be created and the information will be prepared to be added once the opportunity become available. Soon after, I remembered a task Mr. Ogreten asked of in regards to the VHS cases I would need for the George L. Stuart, Jr. Collection (currently, there are none available). I reported that fourteen would be required at the moment. Hopefully, Mr. Ogreten made note of the number of cases needed and they will be ordered soon.
After the conversation with Mr. Ogreten, I returned to relabeling folders. Eventually, all of the folders in Box 73 were relabeled and the box was returned to its proper place on the shelves. As I began Box 74, I noticed there was little time left my shift. I relabeled what folders I could before resigning the task to be resumed next week. After returning the Boxes to the carts (as a sign that both were works-in-progress), I said farewell to the staff and my colleagues before leaving for the day.
In review, the folders in Boxes 72 and 73 were relabeled, the relabeling of Box 74’s folders had begun, and a conversation with Mr. Ogreten regarding the future of the George L. Stuart, Jr. Collection was had. Next week, the goal will be to finish the relabeling of all the folders in the Multimedia Series as detailing the other related materials before proceeding to the Personal Files Series. Until then, enjoy the weekend and stay safe! Bye!