August 13, 2018 – “Untangling the Gordian Knot”

Hello, everyone!

As another week begins, the issues, troubles, problems, and conundrums from the previous week have seemingly been solved. How the Correspondence series’ subseries of the George L. Stuart, Jr. Collection will be structured will be determined numerically/chronologically then alphabetically. But, there is the problem of untangling the Gordian Knot of the present structure and this process consumed my day.

When I arrived at the office, the timing could not have been more impeccable. I meet Mr. Benjamin as he was taking the elevator with Chris Saclolo, but he had enough time to let me in the office first. Rebecca Hammond was not in the office either, which meant I was the only person in the office. I could not leave to do my cleaning duties and I felt I would neglect doing so if I started working on the collection. Fortunately, the wait was not long before Rebecca returned.

With someone else in the office, I began my cleaning duties for the fifth floor study hall. In comparison to previous weeks, there were only a scant few desks that were in need of cleaning. As such, the deed was done in relatively quick fashion.

After returning to the office and placing the supplies in the closet, I met with Mr. Ogreten at his desk regarding the Correspondence series. He told me that he had briefly spoke with Mr. Benjamin on Friday about it and I tried to explain what my problems were regarding how the collection had been organized. Eventually, Mr. Benjamin was brought into the conversation. After a lengthy discussion, the answer that was presented by all three of us was to organized the folders by subseries, numeric/chronological order, and alphabetically according to the label.

With the issue of the how the series would be organized resolved, the next step was to physically implement the changes. Since the first subseries was already sorted into Boxes 59-64, the folders needed to be sorted again to comply with the new standards. Relabeling them would have to wait. Having to shuffle folders either to make space or place a folder where the contents belonged chronologically proved to be a hassle. The bigger folders needed to be accommodated due to their girth, but the folders all seemed fit in away that did not cause the boxes to be overburdened.

Before I left for the day, I managed to sort the folders from 1978 until 1988. Certainly, folders from 1989 and 1990 will be my top priority for tomorrow, but the real is what will Courtney be doing? Will she continue retrieving folders or will she help me resort the subseries? Granted the series as a whole has not been extracted from the remaining boxes from the old collection, so would it be wise to even reorganize the subseries until then? These questions will have to be answered tomorrow. Until then, enjoy the rest of the evening and stay safe! Bye!

 

Author: 57r3l574d

I am currently a Graduate Student at the University of Central Florida and simultaneously employed by the university library's Special Collections and University Archives as a Other Personnel Service (OPS) Student. Expected to graduate in 2019 with a History MA - Public History Track.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s