July 26, 2018 – “New Methods, Same Goal”

Hello, everyone!

It is the time of the year where hot summer days are on the horizon, so be sure to stay hydrated and wear sunscreen if anyone has plans to be exposed outdoors for long periods of time. However, the routine at the archives do not change with the seasons and so the cool temperatures are a welcomed reprieve. There is a major announcement to make before beginning today’s report: the finding aid to the Howard W. Eves Audio Cassette Collection has been published! As promised, here are the links: (http://ucfarchon.fcla.edu/?p=collections/controlcard&id=250) and (http://ucfarchon.fcla.edu/?p=collections/findingaid&id=250&q). Please take some time to see them. With no other announcements to make, the time has come to begin the report of today’s activities.

Like yesterday, the goal for today was to sort and rename folders into new boxes. I had finished Box 6 and was determined to at least finish sorting through all of the “C” folders in the Senate Files series today. This work continued until Courtney came into the office. Due to Mr. Ogreten’s standing on consist handwriting for the folder labels, Courtney could not assist me in that endeavor. But, I thought of a way in which she could be of use.

I asked if she could retrieve folders from the collection boxes that were going to be placed in the new box, while I relabeled them. This process began with little problems, but a problem did emerge as time progressed. Courtney gathered files faster than I could relabel them! I was slowly falling behind and having Courtney stall so I can catch p to her only wasted her time.

This problem only compounded when Kae arrived. With two “helpers,” a revision of the methods implemented was needed to accomplish the same goal. I suggested that all the folders from the various boxes be gathered and placed into the new box, from which I would eventually relabel. While in practice this method had merit, a new problem arose.

Three of us discovered several documents were not where they should have been according to the spreadsheet. Time was spent in vain searching for the whereabouts of the wayward documents. We concluded that the files were merged with another document and at some point we failed to reflect that change into the spreadsheet. Despite this setback, all of the “C” documents were placed into the new boxes as well as most of the “D” documents. Tomorrow should conclude the “D” documents and perhaps more.

To conclude this report, the total number of boxes now are strictly housing Senate Files documents is ten. However, there are plenty more still to be sorted tomorrow. Until then, enjoy the rest of the evening and stay safe! Bye!

Author: 57r3l574d

I am currently a Graduate Student at the University of Central Florida and simultaneously employed by the university library's Special Collections and University Archives as a Other Personnel Service (OPS) Student. Expected to graduate in 2019 with a History MA - Public History Track.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s