June 20, 2018 – “Phase In, Phase Out”

Hello, everyone!

Before reporting the day’s events, there are a few announcements to make. Ms. Rubin returned to work today, but she was not ready to discuss what my new hours would be just yet. The matter has been pushed back until tomorrow. Also, my birthday celebration at the office (which would have taken place tomorrow) is being combined with that of one of my colleagues who happened to absent during their own birthday. This combined birthday celebration will be bittersweet as the party will be a send off for Kae Lorentz, who is leaving the archives next week.

Kae has been beyond helpful with familiarizing me with the George L. Stuart Collection and her departure will be sad, but I wish well her regardless. The keys of responsibility will be passed solely to me once she is gone. Hopefully, I can make the wisest decision for the Collection when the time comes. Putting such musings aside, the report for today features the end of one phase of processing and the beginning of the next.

As I entered the office, I was determined to finish merging the Campaigns series of documents. Thankfully, Kae had already marked which documents were best suited to be merged. By using the spreadsheet as a guide once more, the appropriate boxes were removed from their shelves and the marked folders were marked. The whole process took two hours and thirty minutes to complete. But, there were a few hurdles encountered.

The main hurdle encountered was a lack of oversight. Apparently, the spreadsheet was not entirely updated as some of folders had been merged and the spreadsheet contained a few entries that did not reflect this consistency. Though I was able to correct one of these instances, a folder marked in the spreadsheet has been “lost” (the contents of the folder still exist in the collection, though the folder and box that they currently reside is unknown). An hour was spent trying to find this folder’s contents to no avail.

Kae did not come to work today, so a discussion of how the next step should proceed for the collection never took place. I did not want to do anything drastic with the collection without discussing it with Kae first. So, I pulled the first box from the shelf to begin creating the appropriate labels for the folders. However, Mr. Ogreten came and spoke to me on what he had in mind of how the next phase should be conducted.

We discussed that the plan is to alphabetically organize the series in the collection, but how to do it seems to be something that could become problematic. Taking the folders out the initial box is simple enough. But if Box 1 is where the first part of the Senate Files series is going to be housed, where will the folders that currently are housed in Box 1 going to kept for the time being? Will a new box have to be created? These answers are still not clear.

To pass the time, I continued to relabel the folders until the time came for me to leave for the day. So, tomorrow will be the experimental part of how this next phase will be conducted. More details of what was learned will be included in the special birthday edition entry tomorrow. Until then, enjoy the rest of the evening and stay safe. Bye!

Author: 57r3l574d

I am currently a Graduate Student at the University of Central Florida and simultaneously employed by the university library's Special Collections and University Archives as a Other Personnel Service (OPS) Student. Expected to graduate in 2019 with a History MA - Public History Track.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s