June 19, 2018 – “Another Alarm!”

Hello, everyone!

I again apologize about the previous entry, but this one will be completed in timely fashion. For announcements, Ms. Rubin is expected to return to work and my hours will be reorganized for the next pay period in July. More details will be revealed tomorrow, hopefully. David Benjamin was not in the office today either, so only Mr. Ogreten was available (we spoke about my hours and I told him that Ms. Rubin and would discussing them tomorrow). No other noteworthy announcements come to mind at the moment, so the report of today’s events can begin.

From the moment I walked in to the office, I was determined to finish (or be close enough to finish) the Senate series folder merging. Since the spreadsheet was now in alphabetical order, the folders from at least “P” to “W” remained. The next hour and fifteen minutes continued the repetitious work mentioned in previous entries. But, an unexpected interruption briefly halted the process.

For the second time, in less than a week, the library’s fire alarms were triggered. After stopping what I was doing and grabbing my backpack, I walked calmly down the stairs and through the emergency exit. I decided to buy breakfast until the library was cleared. After thirty minutes, reentry into the library was approved and everyone was allowed back in.

When I returned, Mr. Ogreten reintroduced me to Courtney (hopefully, that is how her name is spelled), who had previously been involved at the archives but recently returned from Europe to volunteer and later be hired in two weeks. She was in need of an assignment, so I explained to her what I had been doing and that she could me in my endeavors. There was a small adjustment period, but eventually the pace became study and eventually we succeeded in sorting through all the Senate series!

The timing could not have been more perfect: we finished before I was taking my lunch break at 12:30 PM and Courtney was planning to leave in between 12:45 PM and 1:00 PM. Kae did come to work today, but she was taking a break from the George L. Stuart Collection (understandably) and was working on another collection at the time. When I returned from my lunch break, I reviewed the spreadsheet to make sure all the files in the full list were consistent with the list of the Senate series files.

At 1:45 PM, I completed the review. I briefly checked the Campaigns series to see if by chance Kae highlighted files in the spreadsheet and I was pleasantly surprised to see that she indeed had done so. The merging of the Campaigns series will be tomorrow’s task and perhaps the next phase of processing the collection will begin by the end of the week: The Reshuffling (re-organizing the entire collection to reflect the spreadsheet). Nonetheless, my work concluded for the day.

There will be some major developments planned for tomorrow and they will be noted in tomorrow’s post. Until then, enjoy the rest of the evening and stay safe! Bye!

Author: 57r3l574d

I am currently a Graduate Student at the University of Central Florida and simultaneously employed by the university library's Special Collections and University Archives as a Other Personnel Service (OPS) Student. Expected to graduate in 2019 with a History MA - Public History Track.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s