June 11, 2018 – “Categorical Complications”

Hello, everyone!

After a rather busy weekend, the time has come once more to tell of the day’s events at the archive. But first, there are some announcements to make. Due to Ms. Rubin’s trip, the finding aid to the Howard W. Eves Audio Cassette Collection will not be finalized until she returns. When it is finalized, a link will be provided. With that announcement, the report can commence.

The day began with every intention to finish merging files from the remaining boxes that had not been checked through. However, there was a note left by Kae that summarized which of those boxes could have files that could be merged. So, based on those instructions, the boxes that were no longer needed were returned to their respective shelves. Unfortunately, for some reason I could not access the spreadsheet (perhaps Kae did not log out from the computer she was using on Friday?).

After resorting to the traditional method of pen and paper to make notes, I recorded the changes I made to the collection. I  learned during this time from Mr. Ogreten that Kae would not come in today. With that knowledge understood, the notes were left with other noted edits that Mr. Ogreten suggested in need of application. Yet, despite the file merging, I wanted Kae have the final say on merging the files from the remaining boxes.

Under those pretenses, I moved on to a box of assorted documents that needed to be integrated into the collection. Some of these documents have proven to be difficult to find a folder to place them in, while others were fairly simple. This task proved to be more troublesome than originally thought and having Kae around would certainly help as she is more familiar with the vast collection than I am. She would have more of idea of which document belonged to an appropriate folder.

While trying to solve these categorical complications, Mr. Ogreten spoke to me on possibly resorting the correspondences into different subseries and eventually presented a rough draft of how the collection would eventually be organized. Aside for some fine-tuned details, the draft had many similar attributes on how the folders were organized at the present moment. Thankfully, that will cut some work down in future steps.

Time seemed to pass quickly by and my departure for the day soon came to be. Unfortunately, the task of integrating the wayward documents into folders in the collection would have to wait until tomorrow. With Kae back, maybe the next step can begin. Until then, enjoy the rest of the night and stay safe! Bye!

Author: 57r3l574d

I am currently a Graduate Student at the University of Central Florida and simultaneously employed by the university library's Special Collections and University Archives as a Other Personnel Service (OPS) Student. Expected to graduate in 2019 with a History MA - Public History Track.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s