Today was a little stressful. While most of the activities are simply the same as yesterday’s, there is no denying that most of my woes are of my own doing. Most of which revolved around trying to make the Howard W. Eves Audio Cassette Collection (name pending) finding aid aesthetically pleasing. Fortunately, I was more useful with the George L. Stuart Collection. But, there were a few things revealed to me along the way.
I began the day by preparing the office in the morning when Mr. Benjamin informed me that I will be given new responsibilities. These responsibilities are mostly just cleaning what Mr. Benjamin jokingly referred to as the “living room” of the fifth floor of the library. Nothing too drastic, just make sure desktops (not the digital kind) are cleaned and report if any large spills are present. At some point he was going to show me what do, but never got around to it today (maybe this will happen tomorrow).
Since Kae Lorentz was not going to show up until later and, I later learned, Mr. Ogreten was not going to be present today, I decided to review the finding aid for Howard W. Eves Audio Cassette Collection (name pending). I merely wanted to add a small paragraph to the series entry that described what the contents of the recordings entailed. This proved to be more of a hassle than anticipated. The next stressful moments dealt with trying to find the break in the code that left me in a state of panic. Thankfully, I found out I had placed the descriptive paragraph in the wrong location and I was able to fix it.
After taking a break from that madness, Ms. Lorentz arrived for work. Resuming from where we had previous left off in George L. Stuart Collection, we scoured through boxes 11 through 15 in an attempt to merge files together. We had varying degrees of success, but the biggest hurdle involved trying not merge big files together (a box can only hold so much). It is disappointing when finding two files that are obviously great to merge, only to find they are already too full of documents. After merging documents in those boxes, we returned them to their shelves and to pick up boxes 16 through 20.
The main difficulty in these boxes is that some of them only consisted of speeches (some of which were advised to keep separate) and senate bill proposals. A few files could be merged if there were more than one folder about the same bill proposal, but files like these will remain static. Nonetheless, we were able to pick a few out. Unfortunately, we also discovered one of the boxes had unsorted business cards and we were low on sleeves that would their size. This box would have to be taken care of on a future date.
While Kae was examining the the boxes to figure out which folders could merged, I sorted through a miscellaneous stack of documents that belongs to the George L. Stuart Collection but had not been placed in the appropriate folder and box. I picked out a quarter box to hold them until for the time being. Of course, this happened after removing metal paper clips as well as staples and replacing them with plastic clips.
Eventually, there was a mutual agreement that boxes 16 through 20 had been sorted to a satisfactory degree. As such, these boxes were returned to the shelf from where they came. After cleaning up the office of the discarded folders, I decided to take my leave with a delayed lunch break and bid farewell to the rest of the staff.
So, tomorrow will have most of the same activities as today, but perhaps I will be putting new labels on the Howard W. Eves Audio Cassette Collection (name pending). One thing is for sure, though, and that is I will be making up hours tomorrow thanks to Memorial Day. I also have to create a new Time Sheet for the next two weeks. On that note, enjoy the rest of the day and stay safe! Bye!