The archives today felt especially long for some reason. Whether it was working on the George L. Stuart Collection or it was just Wednesday, the time spent seemed to be plodding along. I just hope that when the reins to the collection are handed over to me completely that the work does not stop to a screeching halt. But, enough of those woes, there is some news regarding the finding aid to the Howard W. Eves Audio Cassette Collection (name pending).
As noted yesterday, I somehow caused an unknown coding mistake to the finding aid. While I was relieved to find out that Mr. Ogreten had solved the problem, the fact I could not fix it myself bothered me (and still does). Nevertheless, I made further corrections to the finding aid and the final draft was given satisfactory approval. This does not mean I am finished with the collection as there are still some physical work to done, yet (though input by Mr. Benjamin is required beforehand). I am not sure when this will happen, but perhaps Friday will be the day to make those final adjustments. In the meantime, I began to work on the George L. Stuart Collection.
The current stage of the processing of the George L. Stuart Collection is merging folders together. By using a detailed spreadsheet that Kae Lorentz (one of my colleagues and one of the few remaining members who had been working on the collection until now) created, the idea was to merge folders that had smaller contents that hopefully had similar subjects. A perfect was merging travel expenses from two different years proximity of each other to make a bigger folder. Eventually, we came up with the idea of taking five boxes at a time and examining them to see if any merging could be done.
The good news was that boxes one through five had materials that were eligible to be merged. When the five boxes were thoroughly examined, a half box was removed from the collection and a stack of folders were no longer needed. While Kae was on her lunch break, I took the time to remove the labels from those folders and return them to the supply cabinet. While this seemed like a small step in a much larger operation, this accomplishment boded well and the confidence about completing these tasks in a timely fashion certainly was felt. Then, boxes six through ten came next.
Unfortunately, boxes six through ten mostly contained senate bill proposals and the like. Obviously, any materials that were connected to the same bill were merged. However, this proved to be a much harder task after the initial merging of folders. To compound the issue, I had to make sure I took my mandatory breaks. When I did, it felt like I was abandoning Kae. In addition, I had to adjust to her schedule as well: when she returned from her lunch break, I had only ten minutes before it was time for me to leave!
Fortunately, I thought ahead. I had grabbed a cart to put the boxes we were currently examining on it so we knew which group were working on. Kae said she would try to make things easier by going through her spreadsheet and mark which folders were to be merged. Hopefully, this will be a simple task tomorrow.
Well, that concludes today’s post. While these posts are not as interesting as my posts dealing with Howard W. Eves Audio Cassette Collection (name pending), the processing of the George L. Stuart Collection is part of the job description. If the next batch of posts are dull, I apologize and there really is not anything I can do. Maybe I will find something interesting in the days to come. Until the, have a good evening and stay safe! Bye!