This week begins my first full week as an employee of the University of Central Florida Library’s Special Collections and University Archives. As stated last week, I had the full intention of finishing reading the student manual before resuming the processing of the Howard Eves Audio Collection. However, Mr. Ogreten had other plans for me: manual labor. Certainly, this was one of the perks that come with the job. More details will be further as I record the day’s events.
As I first stepped through the door, I greeted Chris Saclolo and he asked if I had gone over the shelving procedures. I replied that I had not even read the policies, yet. After this conversation, I pulled the student manual binder and resumed reading it.
There were some informative sources mentioned in the manual that I might actually purchase (or downloading) for myself, should the time come where I am hired by a newly established archive of whatever institution or company in the future. Among those were Describing Archives: A Content Standard that is published by the Society of American Archivists and a book called Caring for Your Family Treasures: Heritage Preservation by Jane S. and Richard W. Long (https://www.amazon.com/Caring-Your-Family-Treasures-Preservation/dp/0810929090). After recently having to practice preservation techniques on some valuable family documents, these might come in handy. While reading through the manual, the rest of the staff arrived.
Ms. Rubin briefly interrupted my reading of the manual to go over the shelving policies and procedures with me. As I read through them, I brought to her attention that the format was out of date and, after explaining the procedures, she went to to update them. So, in short, that was another item on the checklist marked off.
I should note that in between these events, I still had to take mandatory breaks. Trying to find the right time to take them is going to be essential going forward. If not properly handled, work that I could had done in one day could be pushed back into the next.
After resuming my reading of the manual, Mr. Ogreten came and had some instructions for me. My colleagues had been diligently processing through the George Stuart Collection (I briefly helped, as noted in a previous post) and by doing so, some of the contents of the boxes in the collection were rearranged. As a result, some of the boxes were discarded. The discarded boxes were to be broken down and stacked on the supply shelves. The person chosen for this task was myself.
I decided to finish reading the manual first before breaking the boxes down. I eventually finished the manual before noon, then I commenced the box breakdown. While the lids were the easiest to break down, the boxes themselves had proven to be challenging. The trick of pulling the bottom up and pushing the sides inward was not a fluid process (plus marking and erasing anything written on them). If the bottom was not fully in the upward position, then the sides could not be pushed down.
Still, I managed to break down approximately twenty-five boxes (there was one that required Mr. Ogreten’s attention, though) before my time was up. However, I had four boxes left. I would have to break them down the next day.
While I was disappointed that I did not work on the Howard Eves Audio Collection, but sometimes not everything planned actually occurs. Hopefully, nothing else interrupts me for the rest of the week. Until the next post, enjoy the rest of the day! Bye!