Its been two weeks since the last post, but as promised this post resumes the recording of my time as a volunteer (formerly an intern) at the University of Central Florida Library’s Special Collections and University Archives. Today’s activities certainly made up for lost time and new developments are in the works. Without furthering the suspense and risk babbling through the introductory paragraph, it would be to recount today’s events chronologically.
After logging in, I spoke with Mr. Ogreten regarding the archived email records of the Acquisition Department for anything regarding the Barclay Collection. Unfortunately, he reported there were no records whatsoever regarding when the collection was donated. Nothing could be done, given the options presented. So, with those avenues explored, there was only when thing left to do: create the finding aid.
Before settling down with the finding aid, I did the easiest tasks to finish the processing of the collection: labeling. Of course, I had to become familiar once more with the typewriter. Thanks to Ms. Rubin, I figured out how to turn it on (a bit embarrassing, admittedly) and set up the machine to begin typing. The first label was for the administrative file for the collection and thinking back on the moment know, I may have typed the label upside down. As I was typing, the words did not feel centered and that might be the reason.
The second label was for the box that the collection is housed in. This was a much easier process in comparison and the label was applied appropriately. All that was left was the finding aid.
The finding aids are no longer much of a hassle for me and the Arthur S. Barclay Collection was no exception. After following the prompts and entering the necessary information, I was done in relatively quick fashion. The finding aid was reviewed by Mr. Ogreten, I made the the corrections that were noted. However, instead of NoteTab Pro being the program that these corrections were administered, I was introduced to a new program called XMetaL. I had never heard of it until today.
After the corrections were made and a final overview was administered, Mr. Ogreten assured me that he would take care of things on his end and said the finding aid would be online soon. When it does become online, I will be sure to share a link to it on a future post. Aside from that, the Arthur S. Barclay Collection has now been processed. So, what of my next collection?
At the beginning of the semester, Mr. Ogreten introduced me to the Howard Eves Audio Collection. Howard Whitley Eves (January 10, 1911 – June 6, 2004) was a mathematician who primarily worked in geometry as well as the history of mathematics. The collection contains twenty-eight audio cassettes and their CD counterparts. They were donated by Max Bell, Professor Emeritus of the University of Chicago, on December 9, 2010 as Howard Eves had spent time at the University of Central Florida in the latter part of his life. This is the collection I will be working on from today forward.
I did not have a lot of time to get into the details, but I began researching for the eventual finding aid for the collection. I began with information about Douglas Kent Brumbaugh (May 26, 1939-May 31, 2010), who was a professor at the University of Central Florida that helped Professor Eves with these audio tapes. I managed to track down his retirement post (http://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~brumbad/home.html) for the administrative file and said information will included in the biographical section of the finding aid when the time comes. The main task for the collection, however, is to listen to the audio and take notes regarding the content and the state of quality they are in. Expect that for future posts.
When the clock closed in on 2:00 PM, it was time to log off for the day. So, in short, I have moved on from a botany collection to a math collection. I am sure that I will be going into more details regarding the Howard Eves Audio Collection, but it is time to bid farewell for the week. Enjoy the weekend and stay safe! Bye!