Hopefully the weekend was enjoyable as it was for me, but it is time once more to make another entry into this blog. Much of what this week’s work involved restructuring the Arthur S. Barclay Collection and tailoring it closer to what the final state will look like. Also, there is an update regarding those auto accident photographs and some upcoming events. So without further delay, let the recap begin!
Before the day started, I was actually surprised to find out the volumes of the Minutes of the Annual Convention of the United Daughters of the Confederacy that I would not get a hold of actually were sent to the library and I received the email notification. On Tuesday, I picked up the volumes and scanned through them for information regarding the development of the Vietnam War Cross of Military Service. Unfortunately, there was nothing regarding a committee being created for the medal, unlike the earlier medals. So, with the information available studied, I can really say I have done everything I could for the United Daughters of the Confederacy Medal Collection. For the record, the finding aid has not been updated, yet, to reflect the new information I recently was compiling. I will mention when it does on a future post.
As for Wednesday, I was determined to make the necessary changes for the Arthur S. Barclay Collection to be in a presentable state. The first step was to label the sets of datura sample photographs to avoid sets being jumbled together when it was time to add them into the same folder. The next step was taking those photographs and slides out of the folders they were in and placing them together in a new folder. After that, the excess folders were returned to the supply cabinet and the remaining folders were given appropriate headings for their labels. I also took the time and chronologically sorted the slides related to Dr. Barclay’s 1956 trip to Colombia. After all this work done, the only tasks for the collection now are labeling the administrative file, the labeling collection box, and creating the finding aid.
However, there are some strings attached. Mr. Ogreten was going to try to find information from the Acquisition Department about any files relating to when the Barclay Collection was donated to the University Library. Meanwhile, I found out why I have not heard back from the Society of Automotive Historians: the file size of my email was too large and it failed to send. This time I did not make the same mistake and I sent a message to Professor Fon Gordon, with whom I had a class on Twentieth Century Tourism last semester. She has an interest in automobile history, so I have reached out to her and sent a scan of a photograph of Dr. Barclay’s vehicle with hopes of identifying it. I will report back with progress on that end.
The last bit of news regards an upcoming event. On February 21, I have volunteered to proctor an exam for one of the history professors’ undergraduate classes. The exam for the class starts at 12:30 PM and ends at 1:30 PM, but there will be a bit of preparation involved that needs me on campus much earlier than that. As a result, I will not be doing work in the archives that week and there will be not be a blog post that week (unless a major development happens).
This concludes the news and recap for this week. The Arthur S. Barclay Collection moves ever closer to completion and those finally steps can be (and should be) handled in one more session. Regardless, take care and enjoy the weekend!