Best wishes that the weekend was enjoyable to everyone, but it is time to get back into the swing of things. All of the work that was left off from last week was addressed today and in comparison to the work put in for the O’Shaughnessy Collection, this felt rather anti-climactic. On one hand, it is pleasing to accomplish what needed to be done. On the other hand, the imperfections and the research still needed to be done with the United Daughters of the Confederacy Medal Collection finding aid’s biographical history will have to be corrected by someone else down the road. Due to financial limitations, there was no way the necessary research was going to be conducted and the results obtained to give a more proper history of the medals (certainly would have helped any researchers trying to gather information on the medals as there is no singular comprehensive to them that is readily available). But, this does not give any details of the day’s events and it would be apropos to give an account of such.
The day started with a quick glance at the computer that had the scanner and it was free for use. After logging on to the computer, the title page of Civil War Veterans’ Organizations, Reunions, and Badges by Turner E. Kirkland, the short biography of the United Daughters of the Confederacy from the booklet, and pictures of the Southern Cross of Honor were scanned and printed with no issues whatsoever. They were placed inside the developing processed file for the medals and the task of combing through the administrative file for the United Daughters of the Confederacy and making copies of the relevant documents regarding the medals was next on the list. This proved more troublesome than it was was worth.
For some reason the scanner would not form a perfect page of a document that was being scanned, even though the same scanner made good quality copies of the excerpts from Kirkland’s booklet. I moved on the printer in the main research room to accomplish this. It was a surprise to learn that the printer in that room no longer needed a credit card to be used to make copies. Where was this development when I made copies of newspaper clippings in the O’Shaughnessy Collection? Eventually, all relevant documents had a copy made and were placed inside the processed file. The last task in this area was to print two page to refer the two file folders to each other.
One of the final tasks in total was to create the labels for the processed file and the box the medals were housed in. After a brief refresher course in how to operate the typewriter provided by Mr. Ogreten, the task was completed with only one mishap that could be corrected by the typewriter. I was impressed! In the past if a mistake was made, the whole page would to be taken out, liquid paper (or the equivalent of it) would need to be applied, and the paper would be reinserted into the typewriter. Now, just like computer typing, a press of a button will remove the error as if it never occurred. It was eye opening to know that was possible! Anyways, the labels were made and applied to their appropriate destinations. This left the finding aid.
To my horror, I found out the finding aid I had been working on was using the wrong template for the finding aid. This meant starting almost from scratch. I did not dare delete some of my work from the erred template until I had transferred the valuable coding into the more correct version. Of course, I consulted Mr. Ogreten whenever I had a question but because I was dealing with a much smaller collection, the time to work on the finding aid was relatively less than the O’Shaughnessy Collection finding aid. Once I felt comfortable with the coding, I reported to Mr. Ogreten of the progress. The XML file was sent for review and I waited patiently for the results.
During this time, I did a quick overview of the O’Shaughnessy Collection and a couple of errors were found. I informed Ms. Rubin of them and she said she would correct them following a meeting she was attending. Judging by its current state, the corrections have been made. By this time, Mr. Ogreten returned with a printed copy of the Medal Collection finding aid that addressed changes that needed to be made. After carefully following the instructions, the corrections were made. Mr. Ogreten was informed and he said he would make some adjustment on his end to the finding aid and that would be it. So, potentially tomorrow will be the day that this finding aid will added online and if it is, the link will be posted on this blog.
That pretty much wraps the day and tomorrow will be considered the last real work day at the archives. The archives will be closed Friday in observance to Veteran’s Day and next Monday will be my presentation on all that was accomplished during this semester. As for this blog, there will be a weekly review posted this Friday as well as next Friday in regards to experiences at the archives. After next Monday, there will not be anymore daily posts as it will technically be my last day. There will be a couple of more blog posts, but I am thinking they will relate to the progress of my historiographical paper (the only real assignment left). I thank everyone who has taken this journey with me as my internship winds down, but look forward to tomorrow as final edits adjust will be made no doubt. Until then, enjoy the evening and stay safe.