Hello and welcome back! The deed is done. It can be said now that all this semester’s work on processing the O’Shaughnessy Collection has now reached fruition. While this may be cause for celebration, it is worthwhile to note that the next chapter of this internship begins as well. There is more to explain and there is no sense in delaying the inevitable, so it is best to start from the top.
Now, it was expected that the final edits were going to be made to the finding aid for the O’Shaughnessy Collection, but it turns out that there was a finale approaching at the same time. After logging in, there were two articles that would serve as the reading assignment this week. One was an article published in the New York Times by Michaelangelo Matos titled “Inside Prince’s Paisley Park Archives: 7,000 Artifacts Cataloged, Many More to Go” (https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/20/arts/music/prince-paisley-park-archives.html) Matos reports that Paisley Park, the home of the late Prince, was being processed into an archive and that all of his belonging were being sorted through and is in a constant state of update due to the vast number of artifacts and memorabilia. The other is an article published at Business of Fashion by Grace Cook titled “Cartier Opens its Archives for US Exhibition” (https://www.businessoffashion.com/articles/news-bites/cartier-opens-its-archive-for-us-exhibition). Cook reports that jewelry giant Cartier was showcasing its collection of rare artifacts at Fifth Avenue in New York City and, surprisingly, every item would available for purchase. After reading this articles, Ms. Rubin said that these would be the second to last reading assignments. So, when the next ones are assigned, that will be it.
With the reading assignments completed, one of the final tasks that was not done yesterday was erase the markings off the old boxes and return them to an archive shelf. It probably did not take longer than five minutes. After which, it was time to make final adjustments to the finding aid (also helped that Ms. Rubin printed out the finding aid as it was and marked what needed to be changed) During this moment, I resorted some items in the Ephemera box to be placed in the appropriate folders. That was the last physical thing I did with the collection. After making those adjustments, I printed out the new finding aid and presented both print outs to Ms. Rubin. She noted that the new publications that were being added to the library catalog were probably going to be the last additions to the finding aid, but that may happen after this internship comes an end. Aside from that, it was finished. When the finding aid becomes live, expect a link to be posted in the blog. Look forward to it.
I was now done with one of my tasks, but now I was handed over Burak Ogreten, who is in charge of the Special Collections portion of the archives. Chris Saclolo, who is the conservator, had finished rehousing the United Daughters of the Confederacy Medals and now they were reading for the work I was to do with them. Mr. Ogreten began showing me where I would place the medals after I was done with them for today and laid an outline of what I was to do. After the explanation, I asked Chris for the photographs he took of the previous case to be placed in my staff folder and I began my examination of the medals. I was taking notes of what the descriptions that were with them said was as the physical descriptions of each medal. I was nearly half done when time ran out. I placed the medals in the archives where they belonged and my day ended.
This was an exciting day, but there is still more to come. Friday yields new challenges, no doubt. Be sure to come back that day, but until then enjoy the rest of the evening. Take care!