Hello and welcome to this humble blog!
As this is the midpoint of October, it means this is the “Crossing the Rubicon” moment of this semester. There is only a few weeks left! Time sure flew by quick and the question of “Will there be a season two?” comes to mind and the answer that can best be given is “Maybe?” Perhaps sometime in the future, but be sure if another opportunity like this comes around that this blog will be used the record the experiences of it. Enough of this discussion for now and it is time to shift this post to focus on what happened today.
As I signed in today, I was a little surprised when two reading assignments were in my folder. The first was “Delhi’s past preserved, byte by byte” by Manimugdha S. Sharma on from Times of India (https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/delhi/Delhis-past-preserved-byte-by-byte/articleshow/60896744.cms) how Delhi’s artifacts such as old property papers are being preserved digitally and the constant struggles the Delhi Archives faces with having the proper equipment to do the jobs necessary for preservation. The second reading was “Government accused of hoarding Canadian history in ‘secret’ archives” by Dave Seglins and Jeremy McDonald by the CBC (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/government-records-archives-history-1.4129935) which states the problem of the Canadian government not having a sunset on the release of Cold War Era documents to archives and are being accused of withholding said documents. After reading these articles, I moved on to my tasks.
Much of today’s work was resuming Tuesday’s left overs. Due to another intern using the computer I used to input coding into the finding aid, I resorted to complete the labeling and relabeling all of the folders in the collection. This included to once more go through the Documents box and relabeling all the folders, again. I did not complain and simply did what had to be done. Eventually, I moved on to the the Ephemera box and was able to relabel each folder (including correcting spelling mistakes). The last batch of folders were the ones in the poster flat file and that meant having to wrangle the file from the archives.
After dealing with the still curling posters, I was able to make sure the labels were on the front of the folders (because the posters are so big) and the tabs. Then came the task of putting the flat file back where it came from and that was a bit of a fight, but the deed was done. A break came in the form of celebrating a birthday for one of our own, Renata (she usually is on the main computer in the office), and though her birthday actually Wednesday, it was a nice time. After forty-five minutes or so of stuffing our faces, it was clean up time and I aided in that venture. With clean up accomplished, the computer was free for me to code.
After logging on and opening the programs for the finding aid, I created the section for the Documents. Instead of starting with the Document box’s content to be coded in, I decided to to be numerically consistent and start with the newspapers as they shared a box with larger photographs. It did not take long and I moved on to the documents. The last act of today was creating the Ephemera, Memorabilia, and Posters section before time was up.
This concludes today as well as this week, but there still is the weekly review and it will be posted shortly. If that is of no interest, however, then best wishes for this weekend. Enjoy it and stay safe!