October 6, 2017 – “Leftovers”

Welcome back, everyone!

Today felt very lackadaisical and easy going, but compared to the stressful week for the rest of my classes, this was much needed. Before I begin, I would to announce that I was quoted in in UCF Library News & Blog post about Ask An Archivist Day on October 4 (http://library.ucf.edu/news/its-askanarchivist-day/). This was very exciting and it makes me hopeful that my return to UCF will be worth it. Now returning to what happened at the archives this week, there were some “leftovers” that needed to be addressed and I began the next stage of processing the O’Shaughnessy Collection. There is not much to be said, but an effort will be made to make this worth telling.

I began today by logging in the remaining data I had began storing into a Microsoft Word Document. It did not take too long to finish and I remembered the 2005 Sheraton Hawaii Bowl DVD. I had rediscovered it in the box that had the film canisters of the original 1979 and 1980 footage of the Knights’ first two seasons. So just to cover my bases and having watched the supplement material surrounding the event, it seemed appropriate to finally watch it.

The DVD begins with a special introduction by Coach George O’Leary before starting ESPN’s coverage of 2005 Sheraton Hawaii Bowl with the University of Central Florida Golden Knights (found out from the August 23, 2008 edition of Talkin’ Old School with Roger Franklin Williams that Michael O’Shaughnessy was not fond of the “Golden Knights” moniker and preferred the “Fighting Knights”) vs. the University of Nevada Wolf Pack that took place in Aloha Stadium, Honolulu, Hawaii on December 24, 2005. This was historically significant as this was the Knights’ first bowl game and it made sense for O’Shaughnessy to have this in his possession.

The game’s flow shifted as the tides on the Hawaiian beaches nearby. The first quarter saw a dominate Knights offense catch the Wolf Pack off-guard and score two touchdowns seven minutes into the quarter, but the Wolf Pack composed themselves and managed to score before the quarter ended. The second quarter saw a resurgent Wolf Pack manage to overtake the Knights and end the first half of the game with an eight point lead. The first half of the third quarter was bitterly contested, but the Knights manage to score a touchdown and unfortunately failed the field goal kick. The quarter ends with Knights regaining the lead with a four point difference. The majority of the fourth quarter saw the Wolf Pack not only regain the lead, but cement it with two touchdowns. However, the Knights were not out of the game just yet.

During the Knights’ drive in the last three minutes of regulation, they manage to initiate a risky gamble. Before the return kick, Coach O’Leary huddled the Knights together and the plan that was put into action was nothing short of brilliant.  The Knights used an onside kick and they were fast enough to catch the ball before Nevada did. With that, they were in range of a touchdown and the Knights did so say with thirty seven seconds left in regulation. This brought the Knights to tie with the Wolf Pack, forty-two to forty-two, before regulation ended. It was in overtime did the game turn into a heart-breaker for Knights fans.

Nevada managed to get a touchdown and a successful field goal kick, thus bringing their score to forty-nine. The Knights manage to get a touchdown and it seemed Matt Prater would score a field goal kick and tie the game for it to continue. In less than three seconds, it was all dashed away when the ball misses just by margins with a wide right kick.

Of course, watching this was not all fun and games. There were a handful of blemishes in the footage that I managed to catch and record before returning to the Word Document. After logging in the Hawaii Bowl DVD, I decided to downsize the collection. The first box of the collection was material donated in 2006 and there was only three pictures and and various DVDs in it. I united the photographs with rest of them (I will need to reorganize them soon) and grouped all the discs in a single folder before returning the original box and folders to the archive shelves to be used in another capacity.

After that, it was time to leave. Not much on paper, but it took time to complete these tasks. That is it for now. I will be posting my weekly review soon but if that does not seem something of interest, then enjoy the weekend and keep safe.

Author: 57r3l574d

I am currently a Graduate Student at the University of Central Florida and simultaneously employed by the university library's Special Collections and University Archives as a Other Personnel Service (OPS) Student. Expected to graduate in 2019 with a History MA - Public History Track.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s