October 2, 2017 – “Covering The Bases”

Hello and welcome back!

I hope the weekend was delightful, but it is time once more to dig in to another week and today really set the pace. This week is the week where my mid-term evaluation is supposed to be sent in and I am going to be sure have that done before the week ends. Additionally, if I can set an appointment with Professor French at some point regarding the historiography paper I have write for the end of of this internship, I will need to get on track of that. There is, of course, the tasks I am setting to accomplish of completing the O’Shaughnessy Collection and with Ms. Rubin back, that is what I was working on today.

The first order of business was to give Ms. Rubin the Mid-Term Evaluation Sheet. She said that she give that back to me tomorrow and I will bring that to Professor French’s office after I finish tomorrow. After giving her an update on the concerns I had last Friday, most of those issues quickly were addressed today! Housing the VHS tapes? Ms. Rubin brought out a box of VHS covers and I was able to finish it along with housing the DVDs and CDs. Flat filing the posters? Chris and I were able to create a flat file and the posters were cooperative enough to be placed inside of the newly created flat file, but the whole file and its contents still needed to be flattened and it was laced under plexi glass again. There were other tasks I accomplished as well.

The new tasks included going back on properly housing the newspapers. I am covering the bases of making sure everything is properly processed before the eventual shake up. This did not take long long as it was just labeling three folders and putting the newspapers in each one. The other task was my readings for this week, which were two articles dealing with the problems of the archives used in the Star Wars franchise. The first was Sarah Jeong’s From Tape Drives to Memory Orbs, the Data Formats of Star Wars (Spoilers) that was posted the Motherboard from Vice (https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/9a3mmp/the-disk-formats-of-star-wars-rogue-one-spoilers). Jeong humorously criticizes the inconsistencies of how the data was stored on various formats throughout the films as well as the illogical way the Imperial Archives from Rogue One was organized. The other was Jon Tilbury’s How Not to Build a Digital Archive: Lessons from the Dark Side of the Force post on Preservica (https://preservica.com/blog/how-not-to-build-a-digital-archive-lessons-from-the-dark-side-of-the-force) that went along the same lines.

Among the other tasks I did was organize the finding aid better. I shared my ideas with Ms. Rubin on how to restructure the collection and she liked it. After that approval, I began setting categories up in relation to it. Obviously, the scope of it all will not be fully known until a better idea of what will be needed. Things like how many boxes would be needed, which boxes would be needed, what contents would go where, etc. That step is fast approaching, though! There are some boxes that I have not even touched yet and to go through, but it will not be much to process them after listening to Ms. Rubin about them.

Needless to say, that was all of what was accomplished today. Tomorrow promises to bring new challenges and I am to be ready for them. Until then, enjoy the rest of the day and stay safe! Bye!

Author: 57r3l574d

I am currently a Graduate Student at the University of Central Florida and simultaneously employed by the university library's Special Collections and University Archives as a Other Personnel Service (OPS) Student. Expected to graduate in 2019 with a History MA - Public History Track.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s