Today was supposed to be, well maybe I should not refer to it as such, but a nonchalant day. However, a graduate student’s life is not that simple. More on that later, but I did make progress with the photograph box in the O’Shaughnessy Collection and that took most of my time.
My first semester as a graduate student has only been three days and a schedule conflict has arisen. Tomorrow I have to meet my classmates from my Historiography course at 10:00 AM to discuss our presentation, but that is usually when I am in the middle of my internship. I also knew that Ms. Rubin was scheduled to be at a public outreach today and I had a small chance to meet with her before she left. I sent her a text message informing her of the abrupt schedule change, but I was fortunate enough to speak to her when I checked in. She said I could come in whenever I had the chance and that was enough for me. I still intend to complete my three hours, if possible. Now, with that diversion out of the way, on to my work!
I began my work by I pulling out my cart from the archives and settling down at a table. I continued where I left off in the photograph box and pulled out a much smaller folder than the one I spent the bulk of my time yesterday. I processed that one with little effort. Thankfully, there were no films this time to process and photographs requiring 4″x6″ sleeves. The one sleeve size I did use the majority of the time for the rest of the folders were the 8 1/4″x10 5/16″ sleeves.
Mr. O’Shaughnessy collected plenty of photographs over the years that were in that size and I made to process them as efficiently as possible. Sure, there were a handful of smaller sized photographs (and a few bigger ones, too), but I must have depleted the stock of 8 1/4″x10 5/16″ sleeves by a considerable amount. I was not being wasteful, either. I made sure to double the sleeves, especially if there duplicates, and did not use them on paper printed copies. I did run into a few issues, though.
I came across a photograph of the 1980 UCF Baseball Team that had a piece of a labeling sticker on the bottom. Though I doubled it with another I photograph, I placed in the front of the others and wrote a note about it and placed it on the appropriate folder. The other issue was I found a duplicate photograph in a different folder than where I found the other one. I am not sure if this was okay to do this, but I took the the duplicate and doubled it with the other and put them in the first folder that I found the picture. Of course, I made sure the photograph that was originally was doubled with the picture in question got its own sleeve, but I hope I did the right thing. I’m sure when everything gets resorted that it will turn out well, but I did not have anyone to ask. Other than that, everything else went well.
By the time it was time for me to leave, I had three or four folders left for me to process and I was finishing one, but I may need to sleeve a couple of picture before that folder is done. So, tomorrow, I should be able to finish that box (well, most of it until 4″x6″ sleeves are available) and I have a test, I do believe. I will post about that tomorrow. So until then, have a great and wonderful day! Bye!